RESPITE AND PERSONAL CARE
Do you need a break from your Caring role?
You may want to spend some time with family and friends, go shopping, pursue a hobby, do housework or just have some ‘me time’. However you wish to spend your time, you can be comforted in the knowledge that your loved one is being well looked after by one of our fully-trained Carer Support Workers.
We listen to your needs and the needs of the person you care for and work with you to decide what outcomes you would like to achieve from the service. Our aim is to promote independence for your loved one and meet their needs in a person centred approach.
If you need help attending to the personal needs of your loved one. We can provide a Carer Support Worker, for the minimum of ONE hour to come along and assist.
Activities which fall under personal care can include:
• Assistance with getting in/out of bed, chairs, etc
• Assistance in turning to relieve pressure areas.
• Assistance with (un)dressing, care of aids and personal equipment (hearing aids, glasses, dentures, prosthesis, etc).
• Assistance in all aspects of personal hygiene, i.e. washing, shaving, showering etc.
• Assistance with taking medication
• Assistance in feeding
• Assistance with accessing toilet facilities, emptying commodes and disposal of incontinence materials.
We will always encourage your loved ones to maximise their own abilities and skills, helping them to remain as independent as possible for as long as possible.
You don’t have to live in the same house as the person you care for to be their carer.
More information andsupport for carers can be found at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/social-care/carers
CARERS: MY HEALTH MATTERS (HEALTHCARE APPOINTMENT SERVICE)
This service is funded by the NHS and Brighton and Hove City Council so there is no charge to you, or the person you care for.
If you look after someone it is important to look after your own health too!
We can provide support to the person you look after if you feel you cannot leave them alone so that you can attend your own health care appointments.
This could include:
• GP appointments
• Hospital appointments
• Day Surgery
• Dental appointments
• Optician appointments
• Podiatry appointments
• Counselling sessions
• Training courses to support you in your caring role
Anyone can make a referral for this service, for more information please contact the office on 01273 234021